Monday, March 21, 2011

Cotton Pickin' Prices...Part 2

Well, it took a little while, but I'm finally getting the "part 2" of my pricing post out to you all. So, I could go into more facts and details, but I think at this point most of us have seen the increases already. Quite honestly it took a little longer to hit us in the "closeout" world, but since December we have seen some pretty significant increases to our pricing as well. One company has just issued their newest wholesale pricing and on new goods wholesale cost is running $4.65-$4.95 and up. I know...ouch! This means shops have to charge upwards of $10/yard on new fabric.

Our international friends will probably tell us to stop complaining and that we're still getting a bargain, since many of them are paying well over $20 US/yd. Yuck! It's funny though, the more I thought about it, the more I could relate it to buying a car. What do we dream about having? A Cadillac, a Benz, a BMW? These are considered high-end vehicles, and if we want 'em, we have to pull out the big bucks to get 'em. So, what's this got to do with fabric? Well, good quality quilting cotton is, the the textile world, the Cadillac, the Benz, the BMW. It is a highly specialized market and a strict expectation of quality must be met. Therefore, we have to pay a Cadillac price to get the Cadillac fabric. When I started thinking of it this way, it made so much more sense. So, for all my girls out there with awesomely plump fabric piles...you may not have a Cadillac in the driveway, but you've got a Cadillac stash!

No comments: