Monday, January 30, 2012

To Stash or Not To Stash...

To stash or not to stash...that is the question! I myself have definitely been on both sides of this dilemma. For the first couple of years after I discovered quilting, I spent more on fabric every month than on our monthly food budget. It was fun, exciting, and although I have never done drugs, I am pretty sure it was my "crack"  and if they had interventions for fabric addiction my husband would have set one up for me. Then, for two years, I couldn't sew. That mountain of fabric just sat there "glaring" at me, so after awhile, I shut the door and walked away. It was like a big green monster - I came to resent my stash because I couldn't do anything with it. Once I was able to start sewing again, times had changed and our incomes weren't the same. Hooray for the stash! I was excited but quickly overwhelmed, wondering where the heck I was going to start. So I started with small projects and those notorious "unfinished" projects. Whew...finally got some of those done!! That stash was stressful at times, but I can honestly say that I really appreciate that I . I am have it. I am excited to start working on charity quilts and projects that I might not have considered in the current economy and rising fabric prices. So the lesson I've learned, don't frown at a growing stash...think of it as an insurance policy - ensuring you can still enjoy your passion if life changes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I could have written this "To Stash or Not to Stash" post, word for word, myself! I have amazing mountains of fabric, that I dearly treasure. Not only can I not live long enough to ever accomplish all my projects, but I have given the "fabric bug" to two more generations of my family, and several friends! I'm an enabler! LOL

Recently I came to the conclusion that I cannot and don't want to ever make bed-size quilts!! They are just TOO time-consuming and I don't have much time nowadays!

I have chosen instead, with the help of a great sale on $.99 Simplicity sewing patterns from Hobby Lobby, to make lots of little projects. I can hardly wait to get started! I particularly like the various "BAG" patterns that are out now. But how will I ever choose the fabrics for each?!? LOL

For years, people have begged me to sell some or all of my stash. Are they kidding?? Don't they realize that fabric is very COLLECTIBLE?! If you don't acquire what you "must have" from the collections when they come out, you may never see them again!! I have added a codicil to my will to make sure that these treasures go to a good home! LOL

Hey, here's a thought!! Maybe there should be a new TV reality show called "STASHERS"!!

Well, gotta go and browse this amazing quiltfabriccloseouts website!!

Happy Stash Hunting!!

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely been in the same quilting rut. I absolutely love every aspect of quilting but I too, got into the same rut of not being able to quilt for almost a year... I don't know why. Perhaps the amount of fabric, quilt books and magazines, and projects I wanted to complete, just overwhelmed me...therefore I didn't do anything. I'm trying to get started again, so if you have any helpful hints to get me sewing again, please share them. Thanks.

Sarah said...

Start small! Little projects get you back in the game without being overwhelming. Not sure what to make? Think of upcoming holidays and gifts you'll need, and make things for those events. And the most important part...have fun doing it!